Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Migrant 'crisis' (Read 6231 times)
moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Migrant 'crisis'
8th Sep, 2015 at 7:10pm

So how is this crisis looking from the front lines? All we get are the highly biased media reports  Dont know

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Re: Migrant 'crisis'
Reply #1 - 8th Sep, 2015 at 7:43pm

moneymarketing wrote on 8th Sep, 2015 at 7:10pm:
So how is this crisis looking from the front lines? All we get are the highly biased media reports  Dont know

Well.. it's all a mess but it seems that people kind of have settled down with being in this mess..
I don't watch the news daily as I've figured out it is bad for the health, but I think we are reaching a dead end with capital controls..

The inability of international purchases seems to be affecting a lot of businesses now as stores (especially technologically oriented ones that I mainly deal with) tend to have less and less stuff to sell and vastly limited variety when it comes to international products.

We are still unable to fund our PayPal accounts and that affects a lot of Greek websites that are unable to pay their hosts.
Thankfully I've made it through and I'm cool with another year of hosting for my site and two years for my domain.

We kind of lost track on how many elections have happened this year and how many are about to happen before its end..

Apart from what's happening in the news though, life goes on..  Smiley
Not sure if that answers your question though..  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #2 - 8th Sep, 2015 at 10:53pm

I was thinking more about the Syrian migrants flooding into your country. Is it big news there? They are blasting it to all the news markets up here in Canada. It is reminding me almost of the 9/11 news coverage way back when.

I can't see how your country can afford to let in all those refugees when they are going through the economic turmoil.

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #3 - 9th Sep, 2015 at 1:21am

OMG.. You said migrant crisis... I got it completely wrong..

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #4 - 9th Sep, 2015 at 4:57pm

Ok, some places are facing a lot of issues due to lack of space or means to host the migrants.

Especially Lesvos as the news say.. the situation there is a bit intense including some offensive reactions from locals.

At least today I read that 3 ferries are getting there daily to pick up migrants and transfer them to Athens until they can get proper help.

Greece sucks big time when it comes to bureaucracy, so it will take some time before a legal solution is found for them.

And the latest events due to the economical crisis in Greece makes the whole situation even worse..

Let's hope for the best.  Undecided

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #5 - 10th Sep, 2015 at 12:57pm

SolidSnake wrote on 9th Sep, 2015 at 4:57pm:
Ok, some places are facing a lot of issues due to lack of space or means to host the migrants.

Especially Lesvos as the news say.. the situation there is a bit intense including some offensive reactions from locals.

At least today I read that 3 ferries are getting there daily to pick up migrants and transfer them to Athens until they can get proper help.

Greece sucks big time when it comes to bureaucracy, so it will take some time before a legal solution is found for them.

And the latest events due to the economical crisis in Greece makes the whole situation even worse..

Let's hope for the best.  Undecided

Was it really offensive reactions from the locals? Because there's been an awful lot of misinformation about this situation, especially due to social networks that provide out of context pictures which then gets picked up as real news. I read an article about it, and one of the examples they gave was about the violence in Lesvos. Reather than an offensive reaction from the locals, the violence has been a result of confrontations between syrian immigrants and afghan immigrants.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #6 - 10th Sep, 2015 at 5:00pm

Well the report I watched in the news was about some ~18 year old locals that attacked the immigrants with Molotov bombs.. But that's only one incident though..

Today I also read about the Syrian vs Afghan conflicts there.. and also more conflicts between them and the police.

According to the report some tried to bypass the queue and get in the ships before their turn and that led to more fights..

Either way, when a lot of people that are facing such serious issues threatening their survival get massed up in such a small area it's kind of inevitable to have such conflicts.. According to the reports more than 10.000 immigrants are there now.. and more are coming every day..

The island isn't set up to handle and host so many guests at once.. and there may be a lack of resources such as food and water as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print