Send Topic Print
Uploading Images? (Read 27205 times)
dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Uploading Images?
29th Jul, 2016 at 3:36pm

Hi,

How can I upload and store images outside of my domain name? So if needed, I could post payment proofs in forums and so forth. Thanks!

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Re: Uploading Images?
Reply #1 - 29th Jul, 2016 at 6:08pm

dansbanners wrote on 29th Jul, 2016 at 3:36pm:
Hi,

How can I upload and store images outside of my domain name? So if needed, I could post payment proofs in forums and so forth. Thanks!

I use my own domain but a public image hoster like http://imgur.com/ should do it. You need to sign up and everything else is straight forward.

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #2 - 29th Jul, 2016 at 8:45pm

moneymarketing wrote on 29th Jul, 2016 at 6:08pm:
I use my own domain but a public image hoster like http://imgur.com/ should do it. You need to sign up and everything else is straight forward.

I've been using my domain all along. However, I'm toying with the idea not to renew it when it expires next week and am exploring different alternatives.
« Last Edit: 30th Jul, 2016 at 2:07am by dansbanners »  

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #3 - 30th Jul, 2016 at 2:53pm

moneymarketing wrote on 29th Jul, 2016 at 6:08pm:

That did the trick. Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #4 - 31st Jul, 2016 at 5:03pm

Yep, I'm using imgur for all my images too!

Only issues I have faced is that sometimes the link fails to load correctly in the FamilyClix and YGP forum, though if opened in a new window it works fine.

Ever since imageshack turned to premium service, imgur has been the replacement for most people.

Just keep them organized through albums or eventually it will get really messy if everything is in one folder.

And you can also use privacy options as well, that they provide.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #5 - 31st Jul, 2016 at 9:09pm

SolidSnake wrote on 31st Jul, 2016 at 5:03pm:

Only issues I have faced is that sometimes the link fails to load correctly in the FamilyClix and YGP forum, though if opened in a new window it works fine.

Ever since imageshack turned to premium service, imgur has been the replacement for most people.

Just keep them organized through albums or eventually it will get really messy if everything is in one folder.

And you can also use privacy options as well, that they provide.

It might be wise to open an image hosting site because I assume eventually imgur will go premium also and then people will be scrambling for a new site. It could be worth the gamble  Money

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #6 - 31st Jul, 2016 at 9:13pm

another site is http://postimg.org

this is the one MTV uses when requesting screenshots

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #7 - 1st Aug, 2016 at 3:30am

Basically the cost for running an image hosting server of such an unlimited size and scale are crazy..

There must be an amazing source of income to hold such a site up, running and always expanding on disk space..

I think the reason for imgur to be able to pull through this is that it's mainly acting as a social network like Instagram..

People are not just hosting images there to post in forums and sites like us..

They are uploading them for others to view, and comment, and like, and reply with other pictures, ...and the circle goes on and on and brings advertising profits in.. Tongue

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #8 - 5th Aug, 2016 at 11:28pm

SolidSnake wrote on 31st Jul, 2016 at 5:03pm:

Is that something that can be used for a 468 x 60 banner in a banner ad or something?

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #9 - 6th Aug, 2016 at 3:10am

dansbanners wrote on 5th Aug, 2016 at 11:28pm:
Is that something that can be used for a 468 x 60 banner in a banner ad or something?

Yep, you can upload any kind of image and use the direct link regardless of its dimensions.

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #10 - 7th Oct, 2016 at 5:10pm

moneymarketing wrote on 31st Jul, 2016 at 9:13pm:
another site is http://postimg.org

this is the one MTV uses when requesting screenshots

Do you have to open up an account with them in order to store graphics in there? Thanks.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #11 - 7th Oct, 2016 at 6:30pm

dansbanners wrote on 7th Oct, 2016 at 5:10pm:
Do you have to open up an account with them in order to store graphics in there? Thanks.

I don't recall. Maybe just an email address or something

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #12 - 8th Oct, 2016 at 1:04am

No I think you don't.. Smiley

Just adjust these settings, click "Choose Images" and you'll get the links to them..

This image above is my test.. I didn't sign up.. just screenshot-ed it and then uploaded it to them. Wink

However:

Quote:
Terms of Use

What cannot be uploaded to Postimage.org servers:

Copyrighted images if you don't own copyright for it
Violence, racial intolerance, or advocate against any individual, group, or organization
Any other images that might be considered illegal in USA or EU countries
If you are not sure whether image you want to upload is allowed then do not upload that image. All uploaded images are checked by staff and images that violate terms will be removed without warning and uploader of such images might be banned from website.

Images embedded into third-party websites or emails should be wrapped in links back to the corresponding HTML pages at our site. Embedding images without such a link is not allowed. The outgoing link should lead the user directly to our web page without any interstitial pages or interruptions.

Automatic/programmatic uploads are not allowed. If you need image storage for your app, please use Amazon S3 or Google Cloud Storage. Violators may be hunted down and banned.
So, I'm guessing that it doesn't match our needs..

If I'm getting this right, all images stored there should lead to their site.. so we can't use it for advertising banners or stuff..
« Last Edit: 8th Oct, 2016 at 1:10am by SolidSnake »  
IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #13 - 8th Oct, 2016 at 6:14pm

Ok, that's good. Cause they seem to provide better looking web addresses in my opinion. Unless you do have control on what to name the image in Imgur?
« Last Edit: 8th Oct, 2016 at 8:47pm by dansbanners »  

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #14 - 10th Oct, 2016 at 12:00pm

So, after noticing that imgur no longer support off-site image hosting (for use in a website), I've started looking for alternatives.

Some potentially good ones I have come across so far are the following:

1. https://ipfs.pics/
This one is interesting because it's open source and based on a Peer-to-peer design.. the good thing is that the images are stored on multiple servers so if one fails another one will deliver your image for displaying on your website which is a cool feature to have.

2. https://www.steemimg.com/
I can't find much on this apart from the fact that it belongs to https://steem.io/ which is actually an earning platform..

3. https://www.servimg.com
I read its T.o.S. and it doesn't say anything against website images hosting so that's usable, however it says that we can expect downtimes plus there is always a probability that they will eventually change their T.o.S. like imgur and imageshack... so I'm not that wiling to try them.

It seems this option is only available when you run a forum based on their script.. I've tried creating an account for them and had no luck..

I'm giving option #1 a shot.. to measure if it helps with page load speeds.
Edited:
Already replaced forum's images and they seem to be loading lightning fast! Smiley
« Last Edit: 11th Oct, 2016 at 6:22pm by SolidSnake »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print