Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Latest Rules Support  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sorry for yesterday's long downtime.. (Read 4707 times)
SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Sorry for yesterday's long downtime..
6th Apr, 2013 at 4:17pm

Hi there again, I'd like to apologize to everyone for last night's downtime.. we had some serious hosting adventure. Smiley

There was a problem with my hosting's hard disk drive and yesterday afternoon they notified me that it started having issues,
so they emailed us to keep an offline backup of our sites. However I was away from the computer and didn't notice that. The
hard disk failed a couple of hours later and they got a recovering team on it. After a lot of hours thankfully they managed to
recover everything stored in the HDD so there was absolutely no information lost and now our forum is back up and running.

There's a good lesson to be learned here regarding all those sites that disappear due to hosting failure..
It is the owner's responsibility to keep frequent backups. I personally keep an offline backup of the whole forum once every
5 days (it notifies me if I haven't) so we'd only lose some of the latest discussions (that would be a pity too though..). But
not everything can be lost if we're careful enough.

Of course PTC sites need much more frequent backups than this. Even a day of lost info there can lead to a terrible mess.
It's true that sometimes technology fails, hosting fails, PayPal fails, everything fails but with good precaution we can avoid
big time losses. My best idea of backup-ing for an important site would be an automated system that keeps a backup of the
whole site both online and offline every hour or something. It's really worth it if we're serious about our site.

Well, good thing is that we are back online and alive.
So have a nice time discussing mates!

SolidSnake

PS. It's a good time now to take a full backup of the site's code and everything..  Tongue

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Re: Sorry for yesterday's long downtime..
Reply #1 - 6th Apr, 2013 at 10:17pm

If only this had happened sooner.... Pherhaps somebody would have learned a valuable lesson  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #2 - 6th Apr, 2013 at 10:52pm

ruicarlov wrote on 6th Apr, 2013 at 10:17pm:
If only this had happened sooner.... Pherhaps somebody would have learned a valuable lesson  Roll Eyes

Let's hope everyone has learned a valuable lesson now.. Smiley

IP Logged

kiddrobot1234
Recruit Member

I love being here!

Reply #3 - 7th Apr, 2013 at 8:31am

I actually thought this forum was gone, this is one place I'd come and check often just to see if there are anything new. Glad it's back! (:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print