Investment plans (Read 32035 times)
ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Re: Investment plans
Reply #30 - 12th Feb, 2014 at 6:26pm

Just to give you a quick update, since December that I changed my strategy a bit, but the biggest change was the broker.
Using a Portuguese bank for my porfolio was expensive in terms of transaction comissions and was kind of hard to activated the conventions to avoid double taxation of dividends.
With a high enough capital (around 25K€), using a broker like Interactive Brokers becomes more atractive, since we have to spend $120 per year on comissions (they charge you the difference if you spend less), but we have very cheap comissions per transaction ($1 for USA, 4€ for Europe), allowing for some more frequent rebalancing and/or adding more money (how is this called in English?)

Another decision was to leave dividend-paying ETFs behind (as much as possible) and use ETFs the accumulate dividends. Since the market for these kinds of ETFs is smaller (US-based ETFs don't allow this), I had to use multiple ETFs for some categories (like Pacific region - divided into Pacific ex-Japan and Japan). But since I'm now at IB, the number of ETFs isn't much of a problem. My current allocation is the following:

5% XEMB.MI - db-Trackers Emerging Markets Eurobonds
8% IAU - iShares COMEX Gold Trust
5% DBC - Powershares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund
12% TLT - Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund
4% CBU3 - iShares USD Government Bond 1-3 years
9% CBU7 - iShares USD Government Bond 3-7 years
5% EGIL - iShares Global Inflation-Linked Government Bond
9% XGPD - db x-trackers FTSE Global Real Estate
14% SXRG - iShares MSCI USA Small Cap
10% ERO - SPDR MSCI Europe
4.5% EUNN - iShares MSCI Japan
5% SXR1 - iShares MSCI Pacific ex-Japan
9.5% SPYX - SPDR MSCI Emerging Markets Small Cap

TLT is the only one that pays dividends, but there's no other ETF that has US-government treasuries with those maturities. I probably should have done some more rebalancing on TLT. Maybe I'll do that later, when I put some money I've saved this year onto ETF. I've read some interesting arguments favoring actively managed ETFs when it comes to bond markets, which is more exotic than stock markets. I realized I don't have much exposure to bond markets outside US. Something along the lines of a PIMCO Global Bond ETF is something that crossed my mind.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #31 - 12th Feb, 2014 at 8:24pm

ruicarlov wrote on 12th Feb, 2014 at 6:26pm:
adding more money (how is this called in English?).

I think the term you are searching for is dollar cost averaging

I see you have quite a bit in interest rate sensitive securities.

My interest rate allocation is below 10% at this point and it is mainly in my emergency fund.

Have you looked at an ETN called SVXY. This is a play against the volatility index and it has a strong upward bias due to the fact that it trades futures that expire. I liken it to one of the few securities that accurately tracks inflation. It is very volatile but, as i said, the long term trend is up and will stay up. If we do have a panic this will tank but it will snap back pretty quick and any drop would be a great buying opp.

I'll just suggest you put it in your 'securities to research' pile. I am very pleased with the results from it.

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #32 - 25th Aug, 2014 at 7:26pm

Since most of the (financial) internet is targeted for US investors, it's somewhat a pain to get a good (free) site to create a portfolio using european ETFs. Most of the time they don't exist, quotes are as accurate as a bling man throwing darts, and charting functions are bad or non-existant.

Financial times is good for quotes, and now I found out the Portfolio manager of Morningstar. It has good quotes, and while the charts are not very flexible, it does allow you to compare the portofolio to a certain number of benchmarks.
Below is the performance of my portfolio (the version with capitalizing dividends) ever since I started it in December. Written by Paint are the allocation %.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #33 - 25th Aug, 2014 at 7:59pm

So what do you think of the S&P500 hitting 2K Rui? Are we at the peak or is there room to grow?

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #34 - 26th Aug, 2014 at 12:57pm

I don't know. It's bound to come down sometime, but as for 'when', nobody knows. Many analysts have been saying a correction is imminent for quite a while now, yet the stocks keep on rising....
That's why I'm not into market timing. The market is totally unreasonable  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #35 - 26th Aug, 2014 at 10:42pm

ruicarlov wrote on 26th Aug, 2014 at 12:57pm:
I don't know. It's bound to come down sometime, but as for 'when', nobody knows. Many analysts have been saying a correction is imminent for quite a while now, yet the stocks keep on rising....
That's why I'm not into market timing. The market is totally unreasonable  Roll Eyes

Yes, very true. I think it is manipulated due to all the central bank money printing so I am hedged pretty well because they could pull their support at any time

David

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print