Investment plans (Read 32033 times)
ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Investment plans
26th Sep, 2013 at 4:34pm

We all know that most deposits and CDs pay miserable interest. What kind of financial market investments do you know and what have you tried?

For me, I already invested directly in the bond market, tried some bond mutal funds and rather recently initiated and ETF portofolio based on strategic asset allocation.
Never went for single stocks, as it's a bit above my risk tolerance.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Re: Investment plans
Reply #1 - 26th Sep, 2013 at 8:17pm

ruicarlov wrote on 26th Sep, 2013 at 4:34pm:
We all know that most deposits and CDs pay miserable interest. What kind of financial market investments do you know and what have you tried?

For me, I already invested directly in the bond market, tried some bond mutal funds and rather recently initiated and ETF portofolio based on strategic asset allocation.
Never went for single stocks, as it's a bit above my risk tolerance.

It definitely depends on your risk tolerance. I trade stocks, options and ETFs. If you are concerned about stocks you can always go the preferred stock route. They have a higher set of rights that normal shareholders. Plus they usually pay dividends.

That is another thing you might want to look at is dividend stocks. They usually give a better return than a bank and many companies will raise their dividends over time. So your yield on your original cost basis goes up over time.

To explain that, say you buy a stock for $10 and it is paying a 5% dividend yield or 50 cents per year. In two years time your dividend could be raised to a dollar but your original cost is still $10 so your yield on your original outlay is 10%. You won't get this in a bank. a bonus of course is that as they raise the dividend, this, over the long term, usually boosts the stock price.

Say your same $10 stock goes to $1 dividend. Many funds will find that a 10% dividend is nice but they will be willing to bid the stock  to $15 for that same $1 dividend. That gives you a $15 stock and your yield is still 7.5%. So this is where dividend stocks can really compound the earnings. You've made $5 in capital gains on your $10 stock plus you have $1 in dividends for a 10% yield against your original cost basis.

If you have anything like a dividend reinvestment plan, your compounding increases all the more

edit: Also, they protect you from downside risk

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #2 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 1:52pm

Yes, I've already taken a look at preferred stocks. They are indeed an interesting class, but it seems to be quite overbought. It's precisely because the dividends are good that many investors have flocked to them, which renders them expensive. And you propably know the risks of going for something that's really popular to the point of a small bubble being formed.
The opinions I read said that this was a bad time to enter preferred stocks, as they're overpriced. I should wait until a correction happens.
However, they might be a good way to fruther diversify a portfolio. They don't have very high correlation with neither bonds nor normal stocks. I even asked in a forum about their opinion on including preferred stocks but I never got any reply.
By the way my current ETF allocation is:

5.49% XEMB.MI - db-Trackers Emerging Markents Eurobonds
14.40% IAU - iShares COMEX Gold Trust
  5.10% DBC - Powershares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund
12.96% TLT - Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund
  4.97% ITE - SPDR Barclays Capital Intermediate Term Treasury
  5.35% VSS - Vanguard Small-Cap ex-US
  9.18% VNQ - Vanguard REIT ETF
11.32% VBR – Vanguard Small-Cap Value ETF
11.09% VGK - Vanguard Europe
13.01% VPL - Vanguard Pacific
  7.33% VWO - Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets ETF

Unfortunately I suffered with the treasuries tumble and my portofolio is slightly negative for the time begin. I learned what it means 'sell in May and go away'.  Tongue
I've been wondering about some of the choices I made, namely buying VGK and VPL instead of a single ETF for developed markets. The two indexes are so correlated that it's almost meaningless to have two separate ETFs. Same goes for USA small cap and ex-USA small cap. There's not much diversifying at work in there.
Having too many ETFs can be costly in terms of transaction costs, particularly when you work with an European broker. But if I eliminate VSS and VPL, I should have room for two other ETFs. The classes I had in mind were, like I said, preferred stocks, and possibly TIPS, treasury inflation-protected securities. I read in ETFtrends that short term TIPS might be more useful than regular TIPS due to the very likely rise in interest rates of US debt.
If only I could solve the problem of double taxation of dividends when working through my broker....

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #3 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 6:19pm

You do seem to be over allocated. My ideal portfolio (which could take me years to build) that I'm building towards consists of these categories (an equal amount in each category):

(I'm a trader BTW and not an investor so I buy into stocks/ETFs that I expect to move on a somewhat shorter time frame)

Gold/precious metals
(this is to offset currency/government risk)

Energy (for obvious reasons)

Technology (QQQ because that is where industrial innovation comes from)

I have trading structures in the above three. the Qs aren't quite built yet. When that gets done then I build in these next groups

Industrial(S&P 500 or the SPY ETF)

World market ETF (this is to offset currency/country risk)

Bonds/cash (this is very fluid so it won't necessarily be 'built' until the full port is complete)

This will take a long time to build and I use the principles of rebalancing on either a quarterly or yearly basis (and maybe some day monthly  Money) depending on how out of proportion a sector can get. The benefits of that is that it forces you to buy low and sell high and does not take a lot of emotional discipline (which is the hardest part of investing/trading....fighting the fear and greed emotions).

I've tried to get the port down to as simple a group while covering as broad an area of the economy as possible. The S&P is also very much a world index and thus I'd give it about a half world markets rating. So that, along with a world markets ETF gives you plenty of worldwide exposure.

It could be argued that the Russell 2000 is a better substitute than the S&P and I would agree with that. I am definitely thinking about swapping out the SPY for a r2k ETF

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #4 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 6:26pm

BTW, one trick I learned when hunting for dividend stocks (or stocks in general for that matter) is to look up a dividend mutual fund or ETF and then look at their top holdings. This is a good place to start. You can see what these guys have already done the due diligence on. That saves you a lot of footwork. If they are holding 50 or 60 million shares, then they have done their homework. So you can start there and then your research gets a little easier and you can determine if they are still a good hold.

I'm definitely trying to steer away from individual stocks myself. Indexes are just a lot safer (especially for trading) and you aren't subject to company surprises or news that the company is spending all its money to buy back shares(which usually benefits the CEO and his stack of shares) etc.

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #5 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 7:03pm

We clearly follow different strategies. I don't consider myself a trader. I'm more of a "Lazy portfolio" kind of guy, meaning a buy-and-hold strategy with annual rebalancing. It's a bit more broken down in regions than those kinds of 4-ETF portfolios. But as you said, I've been noticing that some ETFs are too closely correlated.
Still, I believe in having at least one for US stocks, one for other developed countries and a third for emerging markets. True, the rest of the developed world and the US market indexes may be closely correlated, but that doesn't mean it will remain that way. Since these lazy portfolios aren't built based on trends, but for being prepared to a multitude of possible developments that may come, having a bit of geographical diversification may be (or not) beneficial in the long term.
In any case, I think I'll kick out VSS and fuse VPL and VGK into VEA when the next time for rebalancing comes. It's a good idea to buy/sell as few times as possible. For me, each transaction costs $15. And when the portfolio isn't big enough, it will gradualy eat away a bit of the profits.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #6 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 9:17pm

ruicarlov wrote on 27th Sep, 2013 at 7:03pm:
We clearly follow different strategies. I don't consider myself a trader. I'm more of a "Lazy portfolio" kind of guy, meaning a buy-and-hold strategy with annual rebalancing. It's a bit more broken down in regions than those kinds of 4-ETF portfolios. But as you said, I've been noticing that some ETFs are too closely correlated.
Still, I believe in having at least one for US stocks, one for other developed countries and a third for emerging markets. True, the rest of the developed world and the US market indexes may be closely correlated, but that doesn't mean it will remain that way. Since these lazy portfolios aren't built based on trends, but for being prepared to a multitude of possible developments that may come, having a bit of geographical diversification may be (or not) beneficial in the long term.
In any case, I think I'll kick out VSS and fuse VPL and VGK into VEA when the next time for rebalancing comes. It's a good idea to buy/sell as few times as possible. For me, each transaction costs $15. And when the portfolio isn't big enough, it will gradualy eat away a bit of the profits.

Yes, I agree, you need to take into account transaction costs and also taxes. My trade parameters won't let me trade unless the commission is paid for of course. The math is done for that before I make the trade. That takes the emotion out of the decision.

I always tell people (here we go Snake  Cheesy) trading/investing is more about philosophy than anything else so it is very difficult to tell someone else what is best. People have different temperaments and also different situations and what will allow one person to sleep at night may put someone else in the loony bin with all the stress. So i tell people, if you can't feel comfortable about what you own then you are not in the right investment. With all the information on the web there is no reason why someone shouldn't have a perfect understanding of what they own and if it still makes them uncomfortable, then they shouldn't own it.

Trading/investing primarily, because of the money involved, is a mirror into our psyches. I learned more about myself when I started trading than in any other endeavor. Fear and greed, the two trading demons, are harsh teachers of what is in your heart and until you can master those two emotions, trading will be very difficult

Have you every traded commodities?
« Last Edit: 27th Sep, 2013 at 11:11pm by moneymarketing »  

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #7 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 10:16pm

Commodities? Once again, only with passive ETFs. I don't have many tools to trade actively. I have little knowloedge of the various analysis methods people use when trading, and though I try to keep myself a bit informed about the world economic situation, I find it very hard to invest confidently in a very volatile class. So I only use those as portfolio diversification, since unlike stocks, they don't possess the same trend to go up along the years.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #8 - 27th Sep, 2013 at 11:16pm

I got into trading via the commodities market. That was back in the 90's with a discount commodities broker. Boy, were those the days!  Phew Commissions of $50 per trade in a high octane market. Those were trades that kept me awake at night. I move from trading options on commodities to trading options on stocks. Like I told SS I have learned many ways to lose money  Grin

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #9 - 28th Sep, 2013 at 5:25pm

I can only imagine.
In a finance forum that I usually read, somebody once said that most people didn't make money in markets because they went for the thrill, not for the money making. Not that they consciously admit it. They think they're doing it for the money, but in the end it's always about the excitement, about trying to beat the markets...

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #10 - 28th Sep, 2013 at 7:53pm

I guess investing has always been pretty close to gambling.. not just consdering the risk included in each case,
but also the way people feel about it. Same thrill, same need of luck, and similar history in money loss..

(Sorry for being a bit away since yesterday.. I'm in bed with a high fever.. somehow got the flu Sad )

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #11 - 28th Sep, 2013 at 8:52pm

ruicarlov wrote on 28th Sep, 2013 at 5:25pm:
I can only imagine.
In a finance forum that I usually read, somebody once said that most people didn't make money in markets because they went for the thrill, not for the money making. Not that they consciously admit it. They think they're doing it for the money, but in the end it's always about the excitement, about trying to beat the markets...

I didn't go into it for the excitement. I was brought into it by a newsletter guy (that is a whole other topic of warnings for folks) and I responded because I was a natural options trader by nature. The problem was I was brought into commodities options which is a much different animal than stock options. In stock options you can make money relatively easily, in commodities options it is a lot more difficult because your time frame to succeed is a lot shorter (back then, your time frame was a maximum three to six months). Thus, I got my head handed to me. It was a good learning experience though. It made me a much more conservative investor and now, with all the experience I've gained, I could probably re-enter the commodity market and make a nice living. I don't need to at this point because I can do what I need to do in the stock market. It is a bigger and safer market (and I like safe Smiley).

Trading is very much like a video game. You grow, learn and gain experience points. If it is something you are interested in then you stick with it and reap the rewards. It is challenging because you are competing with the best 'players' in the world and they aren't kidding around. They don't have a problem cutting your heart out metaphorically speaking. Being in such a meat market helps you to look in the mirror as I already said and, for most people, that is what they don't like about being in the market. It is the reflection of their hearts that is what scares them

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #12 - 28th Sep, 2013 at 8:57pm

SolidSnake wrote on 28th Sep, 2013 at 7:53pm:
I guess investing has always been pretty close to gambling.. not just consdering the risk included in each case,
but also the way people feel about it. Same thrill, same need of luck, and similar history in money loss..

(Sorry for being a bit away since yesterday.. I'm in bed with a high fever.. somehow got the flu Sad )

Anything involving money, especially large amounts of it, is going to make people act crazy. Just look at our industry. You saw how people reacted to the big hope and dream regarding PTCBox. That wasn't a lot of money by most standards. Or another example is these ponzi schemes that keep popping up. Even though the math is totally against the logic of the program, once it gets momentum, people go nuts for it.

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #13 - 29th Sep, 2013 at 8:47pm

Maybe we should stick to internet marketing as it was the original intention of the forum?

Lately, I've been logging in only to see that the latest posts have all been from "Investment plans" and all.

Although I'll go by the majority rule.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #14 - 29th Sep, 2013 at 9:31pm

Well, this an online business forum mainly dedicated to internet marketing as you say.

However as it goes with all forums there is a generic section where people can discuss
other things as long as they're interested in doing so. This is a such general section
and the reason it exists is people here requested it and feel like discussing in.

I don't have much knowledge on this subject myself and it's not on the top of my interests
list, but since members do, I don't like to be stubborn or something so I decided to go with it.

Sites need to adapt to stay within their members' needs.. and besides.. there's always something
to learn here just like in all the other sections.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print