Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Latest Rules Support  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PayPal Policy Updates (Read 13447 times)
SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
PayPal Policy Updates
6th Nov, 2014 at 10:53pm

I've just received an email from PayPal stating they are about to make changes to their terms (..again)..

The list of updates is here :
https://www.paypal.com/gr/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=GB

However, some interesting policies I've noticed are these :

Quote:
  • increasing the time allowed for buyers to raise a Dispute from 45 days to 180 days from the date on which payment was made (UK resident PayPal users already benefit from this improvement); and
  • extending the range of eligible purchases to cover custom made items that are claimed to be Not Received.

Extending the Dispute range can be good or bad depending on how people use it or abuse it..
Let's hope more anti-scam measures will be taken.

Also there's this one..

Quote:
for all users contracting with PayPal under the User Agreement, clarify at section 13.6 that, if PayPal has reason to believe that returning an item that the buyer claims is *SNAD to the Payment Recipient would result in a violation of applicable law, such as laws related to handling counterfeit items, PayPal may report the item to a competent authority. This may result in the authority taking control of and/or possession of the item from the buyer and the Payment Recipient might not receive the item back.

I'm really wondering what "counterfeit" could mean in cases of items one purchases from ebay..

*SNAD = Significantly Not As Described

IP Logged

rotate4all.com

With great power comes
great responsibility.

Re: PayPal Policy Updates
Reply #1 - 14th Apr, 2020 at 4:32pm

Their latest policy update just blew my mind:

Quote:
Actions We May Take if You Engage in Any Restricted Activities

If you use your PayPal account primarily for the purposes of your trade, business, craft or profession and you violate the Acceptable Use Policy, then:

• in addition to being subject to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal's damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy;
  • you acknowledge and agree that USD 2,500.00 (or the prevailing equivalent in the currency of the country in which you reside) per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is:
    • a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal's actual damages considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated;
    • reasonable and proportionate in its application to the provision of the Services to you; and
    • necessary, but no more than sufficient, to protect PayPal’s legitimate interest in your compliance with the Acceptable Use Policy; and
    • PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing balance in any PayPal account you control.

So basically if you violate their AUP, in addition to losing your account you'll also be fined $2500.

Also, if you refund a payment you receive, they won't refund the fees either:

Quote:
As a reminder (as notified on January 2, 2020) section A3.4 (Commercial Transaction Refunds) of Schedule 1 (Table of Fees) was amended on March 5, 2020 to clarify that, if you carry out a refund of a Commercial Transaction payment, all of the fees originally paid by you to receive the payment will not be returned to you. The amendment to section A3.4 (Commercial Transaction Refunds) of Schedule 1 (Table of Fees) which took effect on March 5, 2020 will continue to read and be applied on and after the Effective Date.

I'm speechless. Just... wow.

Source: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full
« Last Edit: 14th Apr, 2020 at 4:38pm by rotate4all.com »  

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #2 - 14th Apr, 2020 at 10:58pm

rotate4all.com wrote on 14th Apr, 2020 at 4:32pm:
Their latest policy update just blew my mind:

So basically if you violate their AUP, in addition to losing your account you'll also be fined $2500.

Also, if you refund a payment you receive, they won't refund the fees either:

I'm speechless. Just... wow.

Source: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Not surprised. These guys are the arrogant forefront of new tech. They think they own the world

I've started seeing advertising for them. I think it was on Twitter so they must be getting hungry

TBH, I hope BTC buries them.

I do think PP will one day adopt the BTC system into its payment network. If not, they will be left behind

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #3 - 14th Apr, 2020 at 11:24pm

FYI. I'm still making a good use of my Paypal membership. For instance, all those paypal payments I'm getting from ySense with no fees and all that. And I like that! Wink

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #4 - 15th Apr, 2020 at 10:57am

PayPal just like eBay are mainly focusing on staying safe for buyers.. it's never been the deal for sellers.

So, it's good to use it for purchases of features of any sort, but not to have it as your main funding source, especially if you own an advertising system which is almost a ticket to getting your account frozen till eternity..

It's mostly safe for us members but I won't ever use it a again as an owner. There are plenty of safer options for that purpose.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #5 - 15th Apr, 2021 at 5:48am

The weasels are at it again. Even if you state you want money taken from your credit card, they will take money out of your accounts first, then they will take from your credit card. It used to be you could state the preference as CC first but I think they have taken that away now.

I just had most of my DLF commissions drained when I went to buy a bunch of vitamins. They set up a preferred merchant and then put the drain in the fine print when you try to buy something. I will no longer be using Paypal to buy anything online even though I consider it a step of security.

They are obviously doing it to avoid credit card charges but the way they did it is just sleazy. I'm sure it was in one of their notifications but it is clearly for their benefit and not their customer.

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #6 - 16th Apr, 2021 at 12:43am

moneymarketing wrote on 15th Apr, 2021 at 5:48am:
The weasels are at it again. Even if you state you want money taken from your credit card, they will take money out of your accounts first, then they will take from your credit card. It used to be you could state the preference as CC first but I think they have taken that away now.

I just had most of my DLF commissions drained when I went to buy a bunch of vitamins. They set up a preferred merchant and then put the drain in the fine print when you try to buy something. I will no longer be using Paypal to buy anything online even though I consider it a step of security.

They are obviously doing it to avoid credit card charges but the way they did it is just sleazy. I'm sure it was in one of their notifications but it is clearly for their benefit and not their customer.

It depends on the shop. I found out some take it straight out of the account balance, others let you chose the payment method. It has always been like that for me. Fortunately, I found relatively few stores that did this.
Vitamins, you say? It wouldn't hapen to be iHerb, would it?

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #7 - 16th Apr, 2021 at 1:52am

ruicarlov wrote on 16th Apr, 2021 at 12:43am:
It depends on the shop. I found out some take it straight out of the account balance, others let you chose the payment method. It has always been like that for me. Fortunately, I found relatively few stores that did this.
Vitamins, you say? It wouldn't hapen to be iHerb, would it?

They were one. Along with a Canadian site, Healthy Planet.

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #8 - 17th Apr, 2021 at 10:49am

I think it mostly relies on the size of the payment.. if the PayPal balance can fully cover it they don't even ask me and pay with that.

If it can only partially cover the expence then I get the question on which funding source to use, however I think even then they take what's in the balance first.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print