moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Re: Bitcoin
Reply #17 - 3rd Aug, 2016 at 7:28am

dansbanners wrote on 11th Jul, 2016 at 1:06pm:
What do you mean by halving?

Hi Dan,

I didn't see you question before. The halving is a planned event where bitcoin miners get their bitcoin mining fees reduced by half. It is supposed to slow down the amount of the remaining bitcoin (a finite amount) from being released to the network.

If you ask any further questions you'll probably be beyond my depth  Smiley

and this happened which knocked the currency to the mat

Bitfinex security breach: Trading will be halted as well as all crypto deposits/withdrawals

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4vtuxo/bitfinex_security_breach_tradin...

It is definitely still the wild west of currency

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #18 - 3rd Aug, 2016 at 2:40pm

Ok thanks.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #19 - 1st Sep, 2016 at 11:11pm

Quote:
European customers can now buy digital currency on mobile using debit and credit cards

We're excited to announce that Coinbase customers in Europe can now buy digital currency on their mobile phones using a credit or debit card.

Forty percent of debit and credit card purchases are done on mobile for our U.S. customers, and we are working diligently to make this service available in as many countries as possible. Our mission at Coinbase is to create an open financial system for the world, and enabling easy access to digital currencies like bitcoin and ethereum in as many countries as possible gets us one step closer to that goal.

more

https://blog.coinbase.com/2016/08/24/european-customers-can-now-buy-digital-curr
ency-on-mobile-using-debit-and-credit-cards/

I still have the feeling coinbase is going to be the bitcoin version of PayPal but at this point it is still weak and harmless

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #20 - 2nd Sep, 2016 at 1:15am

moneymarketing wrote on 1st Sep, 2016 at 11:11pm:
more

https://blog.coinbase.com/2016/08/24/european-customers-can-now-buy-digital-curr
ency-on-mobile-using-debit-and-credit-cards/

I still have the feeling coinbase is going to be the bitcoin version of PayPal but at this point it is still weak and harmless

Hmm.. those chills on the back of your head huh? Smiley

Well.. there can't be just 1 option for bitcoin so I don't think it can become another PayPal.. if a site is trusted it can always offer a more direct approach to its bitcoin customers, right?

The reason bitcoin was created was to allow a currency that belongs to everyone and noone at the same time, wasn't it?

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #21 - 2nd Sep, 2016 at 4:14pm

SolidSnake wrote on 2nd Sep, 2016 at 1:15am:

Well.. there can't be just 1 option for bitcoin so I don't think it can become another PayPal.. if a site is trusted it can always offer a more direct approach to its bitcoin customers, right?

The reason bitcoin was created was to allow a currency that belongs to everyone and noone at the same time, wasn't it?

I use bitstamp mostly, and its a big exchange. It won't be easy having a monopoly on bitcoin transactions.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #22 - 3rd Sep, 2016 at 12:12am

SolidSnake wrote on 2nd Sep, 2016 at 1:15am:

In the early days of paypal, there were quite a few payment processors vying for online payment champ. Many failed but, because paypal had their act together, they became the go to processor. You guys probably remember that. There was paypal and there was everybody else.

Once paypal grew big and 'safe', that is when the money flowed in and they began to dominate

Well, I believe that coinbase is doing the same thing. We have many BTC exchanges but we also have many blowing up. Coinbase is the one that seems to have their act together the most at this point

They are also backed by a bank (which is, of course, counter to everything BTC stands for) but that also gives them the backing to build and add services. So that is actually helping to speed their growth. Once that takes place, then they can start marketing like mad and will be able to expand like crazy at some point.

They may even start buying other exchanges. Assuming they don't implode like others have I think they have a pretty large lead and are building that name recognition and 'safety' factor that people want for their money

I actually asked them if they offered shares to their customers because if they ever go public, the shares could really explode

Anyway, that is pretty much why I said what I said. I understand BTC is independent but I think CB offers and will continue to offer the best BTC services going forward

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #23 - 3rd Sep, 2016 at 12:19am

ruicarlov wrote on 2nd Sep, 2016 at 4:14pm:
I use bitstamp mostly, and its a big exchange. It won't be easy having a monopoly on bitcoin transactions.

yes, that is another big one in the industry

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #24 - 20th Dec, 2016 at 8:48pm

BTC is really moving up nicely of late. Now it is near $800 US. I think it will be four figures next year and could go on a run if the world economy get into trouble. Considering it an investment and/or using it to store some of your savings could be a very lucrative move over the next decade  Smiley

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #25 - 3rd Jan, 2017 at 7:01pm

Phew

I just sent half my coinbase bitcoin stash to bitstamp.

I feel a lot better now that I am diversified between two of them. I also have an outlet to my banks apart from payza. I think it is wise to always have at least two 'escape' hatches in case one gets shut down and you need the cash fast

So I think I'll use coinbase for transactions and bitstamp as a savings account

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #26 - 11th May, 2017 at 10:05pm

Quote:
Card Purchases for Bitcoin Now Available in the USA

11 MAY 2017

The recent upswing in the value of bitcoin, edging past $1,800 this week, has significantly increased demand for this digital currency here at Bitstamp. So, what better time to make buying bitcoin even easier for our US customers?

That’s why we are delighted to announce that we have now added the USA to the list of countries where our customers can buy bitcoin by Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card.*

more....

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/card-purchases-bitcoin-now-available-usa/

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #27 - 12th May, 2017 at 8:54pm

Wow.. $1800?

I think I fell a little behind about it..  Shocked

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #28 - 12th May, 2017 at 9:43pm

SolidSnake wrote on 12th May, 2017 at 8:54pm:
Wow.. $1800?

I think I fell a little behind about it..  Shocked

Did you hear that Japan legalized the use of bitcoin? That's the number 3 economy in the world.

This is just getting started  Cool

David

IP Logged

venkat

Trying to learn something...

Chennai, India
Reply #29 - 14th May, 2017 at 10:08am

Yeah. Japan's ATM machines too have the option to convert, I heard. (Some have 2 way functions - sending / receiving bitcoins.) My brother just returned from Japan.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print