Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Latest Rules Support  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impressive little gadget (Read 12222 times)
moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Impressive little gadget
25th Jun, 2016 at 9:46pm

I bought this the other day. I was only looking for a battery system to charge my phones and saw many in the 5000mAh range. After asking questions about recharge capacity for the phone someone suggested I move up to the 20000mAh range. That way it would work during power outages etc.

so I went looking. That is when I came across this fantastic little gadget. Man, has battery technology come a long way. I had one of these ten years ago and the thing was literally a car battery housed in a booster system. it is true that the other one could supply 120V power for a few hours, but this one is a little larger than the palm of my hand!  Shocked

Not only will it charge any smart phone under the sun but it also has setting for laptops and adapters for all the main brands. Plus adapters for phones too!

The thing is pretty cheap relative for what it odes. I bought this because I didn't want to have to buy a phone soon for about six times the price. That alone should make the thing pay for itself

I think I was able to scrub the ref id from this but I'm not sure. If you want to take care of that or scrub the whole post SS go for it

https://www.amazon.ca/Car-Rover-Multi-function-Starter-Emergency/dp/B019DVZXTE/
« Last Edit: 25th Jun, 2016 at 10:51pm by SolidSnake »  

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Re: Impressive little gadget
Reply #1 - 25th Jun, 2016 at 10:58pm

Cool thing! Smiley

Looks nice, also of much better quality than many typical 20000mAh powerbanks I have owned. Tongue

(Btw.. I've "simplified" the link..  Grin )

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #2 - 26th Jun, 2016 at 12:42am

SolidSnake wrote on 25th Jun, 2016 at 10:58pm:
Cool thing! Smiley

Looks nice, also of much better quality than many typical 20000mAh powerbanks I have owned. Tongue

(Btw.. I've "simplified" the link..  Grin )

Yes, it does seem to be quite well built. It should survive a few drops at least. I also checked out that dealer there. They are a gadgeteer's dream. I....must.....resist  Phew

David

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #3 - 27th Jun, 2016 at 12:30pm

26Ah at 12V makes a whooping 0.31 kWh of storage capacity. In a battery that size? For that price?!
I thought it was too good to be true. For comparison, my e-scooter battery has around 1 kWh of capacity, but it's a good 10-20 times bigger and heavier than that. And it's also lithium.
Check the all the reviews. One guy said he opened the device and found the battey inside is actually 3500mAh, which is a far more realistic value.

I'm usually up to date on battery power densities, and let me tell you that energy densities in batteries aren't that good yet and I don't think they will be anytime in the near future, even with the Tesla Gigafactory.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #4 - 27th Jun, 2016 at 4:48pm

ruicarlov wrote on 27th Jun, 2016 at 12:30pm:
26Ah at 12V makes a whooping 0.31 kWh of storage capacity. In a battery that size? For that price?!
I thought it was too good to be true. For comparison, my e-scooter battery has around 1 kWh of capacity, but it's a good 10-20 times bigger and heavier than that. And it's also lithium.
Check the all the reviews. One guy said he opened the device and found the battey inside is actually 3500mAh, which is a far more realistic value.

I'm usually up to date on battery power densities, and let me tell you that energy densities in batteries aren't that good yet and I don't think they will be anytime in the near future, even with the Tesla Gigafactory.

Are you sure because I have seen other chargers on the site basically the size of a lipstick container that supposedly have 5000 mAh capacity.

It would be really disappointing if it didn't have that type of power in case I needed it to crank a vehicle

Is there any way to test it?

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #5 - 27th Jun, 2016 at 6:12pm

moneymarketing wrote on 27th Jun, 2016 at 4:48pm:
Are you sure because I have seen other chargers on the site basically the size of a lipstick container that supposedly have 5000 mAh capacity.

It would be really disappointing if it didn't have that type of power in case I needed it to crank a vehicle

Is there any way to test it?

To turn a vehicle on it's usually just a spark.. so it won't matter much..
In a continuous power supplying case scenario though things are different..
Just for the record, I usually test the capacity of my power-banks using my cell phone..

Etc.
My cellphone's battery is a 3200mAh one.
My power-bank when fully charged it boasts a 12000mAh capacity.
So, if I don't use my phone at all while it's charging, could the power-bank charge it up to 100% at least 3 times before getting drained?
If it does then I think we're close enough to the true value and I'm happy with it. We can never really reach the theoretical value (12000mAh) but we should get something above 85% of it, if it's legit.

Of course, along with the number of uses the total capacity goes down as we go, but that's how the rechargeable batteries' lifespan works, so it's normal.
You could also check if there is an extra label on the battery's original label if you open it (you may void the warranty this way though).
I've seen batteries of a 2000mAh capacity having an extra layered label on them that says 2400mAh or so.. it's a Chinese trick for raising the price.. or more appropriately making you believe that you get something more than what you pay for... Tongue

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #6 - 28th Jun, 2016 at 1:14am

SolidSnake wrote on 27th Jun, 2016 at 6:12pm:
To turn a vehicle on it's usually just a spark.. so it won't matter much..
In a continuous power supplying case scenario though things are different..
Just for the record, I usually test the capacity of my power-banks using my cell phone..

Etc.
My cellphone's battery is a 3200mAh one.
My power-bank when fully charged it boasts a 12000mAh capacity.
So, if I don't use my phone at all while it's charging, could the power-bank charge it up to 100% at least 3 times before getting drained?
If it does then I think we're close enough to the true value and I'm happy with it. We can never really reach the theoretical value (12000mAh) but we should get something above 85% of it, if it's legit.

Of course, along with the number of uses the total capacity goes down as we go, but that's how the rechargeable batteries' lifespan works, so it's normal.
You could also check if there is an extra label on the battery's original label if you open it (you may void the warranty this way though).
I've seen batteries of a 2000mAh capacity having an extra layered label on them that says 2400mAh or so.. it's a Chinese trick for raising the price.. or more appropriately making you believe that you get something more than what you pay for... Tongue

Yes, good idea. I'll use it as my cell phone charger for the next little while and see what I get from it.

I agree with sellers playing games with the system only this came from the Amazon warehouse. I assume they would have tested this. Have they become this bad already that manufacturers can sell bogus stuff through their system and they not even be aware of it?  Huh  Undecided

I hope not but they will hear from me if it is the case regarding this  Angry

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #7 - 28th Jun, 2016 at 1:19am

And I see the quote you are referring to Rui. Dang! that was literally posted days after I ordered the thing  Angry

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #8 - 28th Jun, 2016 at 7:35pm

moneymarketing wrote on 28th Jun, 2016 at 1:14am:

Yes, good idea. I'll use it as my cell phone charger for the next little while and see what I get from it.

I agree with sellers playing games with the system only this came from the Amazon warehouse. I assume they would have tested this. Have they become this bad already that manufacturers can sell bogus stuff through their system and they not even be aware of it?  Huh  Undecided

I hope not but they will hear from me if it is the case regarding this  Angry

Actually, I'm going to try my laptop to drain this. Now the power cord says it's 19v with 2.37 amps output. Help me out here. That means I should only get just over an hour, maybe an hour and a half if the battery is 3500 mAh right? If it is 26000 mAh then it should be ten hours of power.

the voltage (except for the settings) doesn't matter to the output drain does it?

David

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #9 - 28th Jun, 2016 at 9:16pm

moneymarketing wrote on 28th Jun, 2016 at 7:35pm:
Actually, I'm going to try my laptop to drain this. Now the power cord says it's 19v with 2.37 amps output. Help me out here. That means I should only get just over an hour, maybe an hour and a half if the battery is 3500 mAh right? If it is 26000 mAh then it should be ten hours of power.

the voltage (except for the settings) doesn't matter to the output drain does it?

unbelievable. After 20 minutes the battery is down 40%. What a scam!  Angry

what a day I'm having. I'm not stepping out that door  Grin

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #10 - 29th Jun, 2016 at 5:15am

moneymarketing wrote on 28th Jun, 2016 at 7:35pm:

moneymarketing wrote on 28th Jun, 2016 at 9:16pm:
unbelievable. After 20 minutes the battery is down 40%. What a scam!  Angry

what a day I'm having. I'm not stepping out that door  Grin

I assume you tested that with the laptop powered off right?  Huh

I'm not sure how it should work with that kind of voltage, because cellphones function at 5V while laptops at 19V and with that drain it means your laptop can reach up to a wattage of 45W (when powered on) which is kind of heavy as opposed to 5V * 2A = 10W that a cellphone does..

Now we're talking about a car starter here, not exactly a power bank so I'm not experienced with how that thing should perform in such uses.. Maybe Rui could help with that.

Also keep in mind that the first few charges are critical to stabilize the battery to its optimum level.. so you won't get its full potential the first 1-3 times you use it.. plus you should be careful to fully charge it and fully drain it for it get to know its limits. (That is if the thing is completely new and the battery has never been charged before though).

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #11 - 29th Jun, 2016 at 1:09pm

If the battery inside is 3.5Ah 12V, then battery capacity is 42Wh.
Considering your computer draws 45W, the battery wouldn't even last an hour. The theoretical maximum would be 55 minutes. But a batery's useful capacity is lower than the nominal capacity, since you can't totally discharge Lithium cells. There's probably a battery management system incorporated that prevents over discharge.
Since you're discharging at approximately 1C (=Rate/Capacity) there's not much loss in efficiency, so while you might get a bit more juice by discharging slower (at 10W, for example), since it's lithium that's not a big difference. If it was lead, then it'd be another story.

So down 40% in 20 minutes at 45W discharge is normal for a 3.5Ah battery.
Not for a 26Ah battery, of course.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #12 - 29th Jun, 2016 at 7:06pm

ruicarlov wrote on 29th Jun, 2016 at 1:09pm:
If the battery inside is 3.5Ah 12V, then battery capacity is 42Wh.
Considering your computer draws 45W, the battery wouldn't even last an hour. The theoretical maximum would be 55 minutes. But a batery's useful capacity is lower than the nominal capacity, since you can't totally discharge Lithium cells. There's probably a battery management system incorporated that prevents over discharge.
Since you're discharging at approximately 1C (=Rate/Capacity) there's not much loss in efficiency, so while you might get a bit more juice by discharging slower (at 10W, for example), since it's lithium that's not a big difference. If it was lead, then it'd be another story.

So down 40% in 20 minutes at 45W discharge is normal for a 3.5Ah battery.
Not for a 26Ah battery, of course.

So I guess it does indicate I'm sitting on a 3.5A battery.

bizarre story:

I just went to work last night. I had the packing slip ready and had the thing bundled and ready to be put back in the shipping box today. I'm heading out the door and I think to myself, I may as well take the battery to work with me tonight for the phone and all.

I get to work, stop the car for a bit and, for the first time since I've owned this in over a year, the car won't start. The battery is dead

Huh

OK, so I use the unit to start the car but don't have time to run and charge it. I start work and come out in the morning and the car is still dead. So I start it with the charger again. The gauge is sitting on 100% still. So that is good

This is too much coincidence for me, I think someone is trying to tell me to hold on to this thing. It is adequate for my needs even if a bit over priced

Lips Sealed

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #13 - 30th Jun, 2016 at 2:44am

Ha ha ha..! Necessity strikes back at value-for-money!

Chinese revenge is cold and ruthless..  Cheesy

Glad it worked as described though. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print