Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Latest Rules Support  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to prevent javascript pop up ads (Read 5130 times)
SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
How to prevent javascript pop up ads
4th Apr, 2017 at 1:25am

I've recently been trying to deal with advertising javascript pop ups in several PTC sites like YGP and FC that I work on daily.

Since javascript popups are not blocked by typical adblockers, and we can't fully disable javascript in a PTC site because the ads page will not work, I had to find another alternative to help with this case, and it seems I've got something that is simple enough and it's not breaking the rules or anything.

Workaround #1:
The javascript pop up ads according to the admin work on a "One popup per surfing session" basis..

So.. my fix includes not letting the session expire, thus preventing another popup other than the first one to occur.

My workaround works in chrome but there should be alternatives for other browsers as well.

I installed the Staying Alive for Google Chrome extension on my Chrome browser.

Then add a specific page on each PTC site I work on etc:

http://www.familyclix.com/index.php?view=ads
http://www.yougetprofit.com/index.php?view=account

Then set a specific timeout in minutes to keep your session alive. What the extension does is refresh the page you have defined every X minutes (set timeout).

For example since FC tends to expire our sessions rather frequently I've set the timeout to 5 minutes, while on YGP my setting is 10 minutes (since it is more loose on the session expiration).

Then after completing my work on each of these sites I leave this specific page open in a tab on my browser. The extension will keep on performing a page reload every X minutes thus keeping the session alive and as a result prevent me from logging out or getting another Javascript pop up at the time I get back to site to perform clicking/maintenance etc.

Another drawback is that this method only works at always-on computers.. Shutting down will kill the session so the popup will be there when you get back on.

Warning: Do NOT try this on a public computer as you put your account at risk.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Re: How to prevent javascript pop up ads
Reply #1 - 4th Apr, 2017 at 1:34am

Workaround #2

A combination of chrome extensions can be used to prevent even the initial pop ups from occurring:

1. JavaScript Popup Blocker - You can set it to prevent pop ups in specific pages like the login page and the my account page while leaving the ads page unblocked. However pop ups may happen when on the ads page.

2. Remove Redirects - Prevents automated javascript redirects from happening.. However it partially works, so some redirects will still escape..

3. Block Site - You can use it to block the ad hosting network (etc. mellowads.com) or sites that regularly show up through an advertising network. This way you can speed up the process by preventing the whole page to load before being able to interact with it and close it in case a redirect occurs.

These extensions along with the one in Workaround #1 will almost reduce javascript redirects and pop ups to zero, saving you time to actually work on the site you want to, instead of having to manually close pop ups and use the "Back" buttons to get back due to an automated redirect.

Another benefit of preventing automated javascript pop ups and redirects is that this process prevents you from getting exposed to malware containing sites that can get your system infected by viruses/trojan/malware and other digital threats.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Re: How to prevent javascript pop up ads
Reply #2 - 4th Apr, 2017 at 8:27am

SolidSnake wrote on 4th Apr, 2017 at 1:25am:
I've recently been trying to deal with advertising javascript pop ups in several PTC sites like YGP and FC that I work on daily.

Since javascript popups are not blocked by typical adblockers, and we can't fully disable javascript in a PTC site because the ads page will not work, I had to find another alternative to help with this case, and it seems I've got something that is simple enough and it's not breaking the rules or anything.

Workaround #1:
The javascript pop up ads according to the admin work on a "One popup per surfing session" basis..

So.. my fix includes not letting the session expire, thus preventing another popup other than the first one to occur.

My workaround works in chrome but there should be alternatives for other browsers as well.

I installed the Staying Alive for Google Chrome extension on my Chrome browser.

Then add a specific page on each PTC site I work on etc:

http://www.familyclix.com/index.php?view=ads
http://www.yougetprofit.com/index.php?view=account

Then set a specific timeout in minutes to keep your session alive. What the extension does is refresh the page you have defined every X minutes (set timeout).

For example since FC tends to expire our sessions rather frequently I've set the timeout to 5 minutes, while on YGP my setting is 10 minutes (since it is more loose on the session expiration).

Then after completing my work on each of these sites I leave this specific page open in a tab on my browser. The extension will keep on performing a page reload every X minutes thus keeping the session alive and as a result prevent me from logging out or getting another Javascript pop up at the time I get back to site to perform clicking/maintenance etc.

Another drawback is that this method only works at always-on computers.. Shutting down will kill the session so the popup will be there when you get back on.

Warning: Do NOT try this on a public computer as you put your account at risk.

FF has reload every inspired by opera which will allow you to do that

http://reloadevery.mozdev.org/

I think YGP expires every 12 hours or so, so you have a lot of room.

David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print